Some days you just want an easy, delicious treat, and these chocolate krispie treats really deliver! It seems as though spring is finally settling in here in the Midwest. Even though I love the cold, it has been refreshing to have so much sunshine and be able to wear shorts running!
If you follow me on TikTok or watch my Instgram stories, you know that I have been running lots. I have two half marathons coming in up May, and I cannot wait! Baking has somewhat taken a backseat to everything else going on, but I am doing my best to share content as I am able.
If you do not currently follow me, here are my links! Follow and say "hi"!
About These Chocolate Krispie Treats
These treats are a cinch to throw together and have high appeal to children and adults alike! Though I LOVE the classic version, the cocoa flavor really hit the spot for me.
Personally, I like my krispie treats on the gooey side, so my recipe uses a slightly lower cereal to marshmallow ratio than some (I mean, look at that marshmallow pull in the photo below)! To really enhance the cocoa, drizzle the bars with melted chocolate.
The recipe calls for a 9x9 inch pan since I like my krispie treats on the thicker side. However, you could also use a 9x13 inch pan too. Whichever size pan you end up using, you will want to butter it so the treats do not stick.
You sure can! Depending on your microwave, this may take 2-3 minutes. My suggestion is to stop and stir about once a minute to help the mixture heat evenly.
I certainly do! Please see a few of my favorite no bake cereal treats linked below.
Scotcheroos (an Iowa favorite)
If you love this recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and star rating below. These bars really are simple, fun, and very tasty. The chocolate drizzle on top is a must!
Chocolate Krispie Treats
- 4 Tablespoons salted butter, cubed
- 1 10-ounce package mini or regular marshmallows
- 5 cups cocoa krispies cereal
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9x9 inch pan with butter.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the cubed butter and marshmallows. Heat on the stove over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the marshmallows are completely melted. The mixture should be smooth.
- Remove from heat and quickly stir in the cereal until well combined and the cereal is completely coated. With a buttered spatula, press into a pan.
- If topping with a chocolate drizzle, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave and stir until smooth. Using a piping bag or sandwich sized storage bag, pipe a drizzle of chocolate over the bars. Let chocolate and bars cool before serving.
Be sure to check out these other great posts!