There is something irresistible about a classic peanut butter cookie. With a sugary exterior and the iconic criss-cross pattern, it is hard to eat just just one of these soft and chewy cookies. The lovely little pattern is easily achieved with just two things: a fork and a bit of sugar. This simple step produces a clean and refined finish for the cookies, even when baked.
Why I love peanut butter!
Many of the recipes I have posted on my blog include peanut butter because it's one of my favorite foods. I find peanut butter to be a versatile ingredient with mass appeal! Plus, it is an inexpensive pantry staple in most homes—for sweet or savory recipes. Here are a few of my favorites:
No Bake Peanut Butter Cheerio Bars
Peanut Butter Banana Breakfast Parfait
This particular peanut butter cookie recipe is the one my family has been making for as long as I can remember. I haven't needed to try different recipes because this one always produces a consistently delicious and attractive cookie that everyone loves.
FAQs about these Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
For a no-mess top with clean lines, you will want to roll the cookie dough balls in sugar before pressing with the fork with a perpendicular pattern. The sugar adds shine and a little extra sweetness to the cookie.
For starters, I always line my cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicon baking mats to ensure there is no sticking. This also makes clean-up a breeze. In terms of cookie sheets, I recommend a high quality baking tray designed for cookies from a reputable brand. Use a light colored pan since dark pans will cause the cookies to brown too much on the bottom.
Absolutely! Creamy or crunchy peanut butter will work great in this recipe. However, I do not recommend using natural-type peanut butter in this recipe.
These cookies may be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Otherwise, you may freeze them to be enjoyed at a later date. We often freeze some to pull out when you need a sweet treat without having to bake!
Try these cookies out and let me know what you think! Please share your feedback by leaving a star rating and comment at the bottom of this page. I am confident you will love them!
Classic Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar plus extra for rolling
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light with an electric mixer. Add the peanut butter and mix over medium speed for about 2 additional minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix to combine and scrap the sides as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients. Gradually add the flour mixture to the peanut butter mixture. Mix on low speed just until combined.
- Scoop and form into 1-inch dough balls. Roll each cookie dough ball in a bowl with ⅓ cup sugar. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten the cookie ball with a cross pattern using a fork.
- Bake for approximately 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are still light in color. Do not overbake.
These are one great cookie!
These peanut butter cookies were a hit! They are super soft and perfectly sweet!