Peanut butter and chocolate are a classic pairing! Like many others, cookies are a must around the holidays. These peanut butter kiss cookies are a must-have for our Christmas gatherings. This is a no-fuss recipe that delivers on taste, texture, and ease of preparation. The cookies are also a fun way for kids to help, and we even made them at our cookie baking night over the weekend.
Tips for Perfect Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
If you follow these tips, you are sure to have perfect cookies every time.
- The cookies should be small, so the cookie to chocolate ratio is correct. This also helps them bake quickly and evenly.
- Roll your cookie dough balls in sugar before baking. The sugar adds the perfect texture and sheen.
- The chocolate kisses or stars should be placed immediately after the cookies come out of the oven. If you bake the chocolate on the cookies, the cookies will not have their iconic crinkled look and the chocolate essentially burns.
- Bake the cookies on parchment paper for easy clean up and no sticking.
- Do NOT overbake. This is so important if you want the cookies to remain nice and soft. The cookies will firm up as they cool.
- Chocolate stars can be subbed in place of the chocolate kisses.
The recipe used for this recipe is a pretty standard cookie dough recipe and yields an appropriate number of cookies for a 10-ounce package of Hershey's kisses. These cookies are especially good while still warm because the chocolate is still melty. However, these cookies store well for a few days or can be frozen to enjoyed at a later date. Believe me though, it is highly unlikely that you will have any leftovers!
If you like kiss cookies, be sure to check out this chocolate peppermint kiss version here!
Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar for rolling
- 1 10-ounce package chocolate kisses or stars
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Recommend lining cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the peanut butter, butter, sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer. Mix for a couple minutes until light and fluffy over medium speed. Beat in egg and vanilla, and mix until mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir flour mixture into the butter mixture, and mix just until combined.
- Scoop dough and roll into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in sugar and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake the cookies for about 7-8 minutes or until barely golden brown. The cookies should be slightly puffed and crackled.
- Remove from oven and gently press one chocolate kiss into the center of each cookie. Carefully transfer the baked cookies, and let cool on a cooling rack.
Looking forward to making these and eating them warm from the oven!
These peanut butter kiss cookies are so soft and tasty! We will make them again!