It’s probably the most cliché thing for a dietitian to say, but I love making these easy oven roasted brussels sprouts! I know everyone swears by their air-fryer these days (and I do love mine), but sometimes you want to stick to traditional methods.
About Brussels Sprouts
These cute little veggies are essentially miniature cabbages. Aside from being adorable, they are very nutritious by delivering dietary fiber, vitamin C, and vitamin K. My favorite ways to eat them are served raw by shaving them thinly for a dressed salad or oven roasted to golden brown perfection, like in this recipe. To be honest, I will turn my nose up at boiled Brussels.
Why I love easy oven roasted Brussels sprouts
Oven roasting is one of my favorite ways to cook many vegetables during the cold months. It warms up the kitchen when there’s a chill in the air, and it is so easy! All you need to do is chop up some veggies, drizzle with some olive oil and seasonings, and bake!
The end result is tender, caramelized veggies with just the right about of crispness on the edges. It is perfect for a casual weeknight dinner or can even be served for guests if you want something more elevated. The main thing to keep in mind if roasting different types of veggies is to make sure they have a similar cook time. You do not want to end up with over- or undercooked veggies.
I like to keep my roasted Brussels sprouts simple in terms of flavor by adding just olive oil, spice blends, salt, and coarsely ground black pepper. This actually elevates the sweet, caramelized flavors without masking the flavors of the vegetables. Onion powder, garlic powder, or Mrs. Dash type seasoning blends are also great choices!
You do not, but it does make clean-up much easier. Otherwise, line your pan with aluminum foil, but be sure to grease it before adding the Brussels sprouts.
These are a few of my most popular veggie recipes on the blog!
I hope you love them as much as we do!
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts cleaned and trimmed
- 2-3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp of your favorite no-salt added seasoning blend
- Salt and coarse ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. If using foil, spray with cooking spray.
- Depending on the size of the Brussels sprouts, slice them into halves or quarters and arrange on the parchment paper. Drizzle the olive oil over the Brussels sprouts and gently toss to coat evenly. Season with spices, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for approximately 20- 25 minutes, turning the brussels halfway through baking. They should be tender on the inside and the edges of the Brussels sprouts should be crisp and golden brown.
Be sure to check out these other great posts