These no roll sugar cookies are crisp on the edges, ultra-buttery, and literally melt in your mouth. With the right amount of sweetness and pretty cross-pattern on the top, they should not be frosted. After one delectable bite, you will know exactly what I mean! Colored sanding sugar or coarse sugar crystals make for a nice touch though, especially if you want them for a party, holiday, or baby or bridal shower!
We celebrated the Fourth of July early this year in northern Michigan with Rob's family. These cookies were enjoyed by family but especially one of my nephews. This was his first time ever having them. If I had to guess, I think he ate at least a dozen over the course of three days. That says a lot because he is a really picky eater, even with sweets!
Sugar Cookie Tips
As mentioned above, the sprinkles are totally optional but highly recommended. We really love them for the Fourth of July and at Christmastime. These would also perfect for a baby shower or bridal shower as a treat or even a party favor. Of course, these would also be great for a birthday party or if you just feel like baking.
Unlike most cookie recipes, this recipe uses a blend of melted butter and vegetable oil. It seems like a lot, but do not be alarmed because it makes a very large batch of dough. The cookie dough may even seem oily, but I promise the cookies are not greasy. They just bake up beautifully and the texture is divine. If you want a smaller batch of cookies, just halve the recipe.
Another nice feature of these cookies is the criss-cross pattern that is traditional for peanut butter cookies. It helps the cookies bake evenly and adds to their visual appearance. Just make sure you dip your fork in some regular sugar to make sure the fork tines do not stick to the dough each time.
The next time you have a family gathering or are in the mood for some amazing sugar cookies, give this recipe a try! They are a cinch to throw together and fun for little ones to help prepare, too. Be prepared to watch them disappear quickly, especially if there are kids around. Happy baking!
If you need other inspiration for more treats, I recommend the following:
No Roll Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, vegetable oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until combined. The cookie dough will be very thick.
- Roll the dough into balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Place the dough balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten the cookie ball with a cross pattern using the tines of a fork. Be sure to dip the tines of the fork into sugar before each press.
- Sprinkle the tops with colored sanding sugar or coarse clear sugar crystals, if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for approximately 10-12 minutes or until the edges have just barely started to turn golden in color.
Be sure to check out these other great posts!