Imagine a silky smooth and decadent vanilla pudding mixture layered with not-too-sweet vanilla wafer cookies and fresh banana slices. This easy banana pudding is reminiscent of banana cream pie minus the hassle and instead made in a 9x13 inch pan. For those who do not enjoy baking, this is a perfect recipe for you. Though this recipe is especially great for summer, you will want to enjoy it all year round!
About this Easy Banana Pudding Recipe
This quick and easy banana pudding is made with short-cut ingredients but honestly tastes like a homemade version! All you need for this banana pudding are:
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Frozen whipped topping (ie Cool Whip)
- Vanilla wafer cookies
- Vanilla extract
Easy Banana Pudding Recipe FAQs
I wish I could take credit for this recipe, but it actually comes from my former colleague Steph. She used to make this for our work potlucks, and this dessert was everyone's favorite! There rarely were leftovers, and if there were, we used to fight over them.
For this recipe, I have found that you may use store brands or name brands for any of the ingredients. I often use the Aldi brand products and they work great (and cost way less too). My only recommendation is to avoid using sugar free versions. This is a high calorie dessert, but it is so worth it as a special treat.
Since this recipe includes sliced bananas, I recommend making it the same day it will be enjoyed. It is fine to make the night before, but the bananas won't be as fresh. The pudding needs about 4 hours to set, so be sure to include this time when deciding when to make it.
The bananas should be a nice yellow color. You do not want to use greenish bananas but you also don't want to use bananas that are overly ripe/brown. If you have overly ripe bananas, I recommend trying one of these recipes!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you try it out, please leave a star rating and comment below. If you wish to follow me on social media (you should!), you can find me here!
Easy Banana Pudding
- 1 5.1-ounce package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk whole milk recommended
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 8-ounce container frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1 11-ounce package vanilla wafer cookies
- 6-7 large bananas, sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pudding mix and milk. Whisk until smooth and pour in the sweetened condensed milk and continue mixing until thoroughly combined. Add the vanilla extract and fold in half of the thawed whipped topping. Whisk until completely smooth. Reserve the remaining whipped topping for the top of the dessert.
- Spread a thin layer of the pudding mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 inch glass pan. Then add an entire layer of cookies so that the bottom is completely covered. Top the cookie layer with a layer of sliced bananas.
- Cover the bananas and cookie layer with about half of the remaining pudding mixture. Then top this layer with additional cookies and bananas. Be sure to keep a few cookies for decorating the top.
- Top with the remaining pudding mixture and spread smooth. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Once set, top the pudding mixture with the remaining whipped topping. Arrange extra cookies or cookie crumbs on top, if desired. Enjoy!
Be sure to check out these other great posts!