Who else adores sweet and salty desserts? Like chocolate covered pretzels or these chocolate salted caramel cookies! If you answered yes to that question, you are in luck! These chocolate cookies are so soft, super rich, and a perfect balance of sweet and salty. I have always loved Dove chocolates and they are the perfect addition to these cookies.
One of my former coworkers used to come by and always drop off a Dove chocolate or two for my team and me. He always brightened our day. Aside from being an incredibly talented designer, he was always so kind and willing to lend a helping hand. If you’re reading this [you know who you are], I wanted you to know how much your acts of kindness during a busy work day meant to me. It's been over two years since leaving that job, but it feels like yesterday at times.
When it comes to chocolate, I am really not too picky. However, I personally love the dark chocolate caramel with sea salt Dove chocolates the most. Dark chocolate is my preferred type of chocolate and is even better when paired with creamy caramel and just a bit of salt. I figured they would be the perfect addition to these chocolate cookies, and boy was I right!
These cookies are nicely balanced with a sprinkle of coarse salt on top. Make sure you do this after chocolate has melted so it sticks. Like most cookies, they are best when still warm and the chocolate and caramel is melty. However, they keep well and can always be rewarmed in the microwave for about 5 seconds if you want that same effect. Pair the cookies with a big cup of coffee in a holiday mug or a tall glass of milk, and you are all set. You will definitely be on the “Nice List” if you leave these out for Santa. These are also perfect for a holiday cookie exchange with family and friends!
Variations of these Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies to Try
If you are interested in another version, I also have a similar cookie with candy cane Kisses. They feature the same cookie but have a bit more color with the vibrant red and white stripes on the candy cane Kisses. For those who are like me and can’t decide, feel free to make both recipes. You won’t regret it! The link to the peppermint version (shown below) is right here.
With that, happy baking my friends! If you make these or any of my recipes, be sure to leave a comment and tag me on Facebook or Instagram. It is so great hearing what you think!
Chocolate Salted Caramel Cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 7.94-ounce bag Dove Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt Caramel Squares
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla, and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the butter mixture, and mix until combined. The cookie dough will be fairly thick.
- Scoop dough and roll into 1 inch balls. Place on parchment lined baking trays and bake for about 8 minutes. The cookies should still feel fairly soft and be slightly puffed.
- Once removed from the oven, gently place one Dove chocolate square into the center of each cookie. The cookies will crackle slightly. Let sit on the tray for about 5 minutes or until the chocolate square is melty. Once the chocolate square has barely started to melt, sprinkle lightly with coarse sea salt. The chocolate must be melty in order for the salt to stick. Carefully transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling or enjoy warm.
Be sure to check out these other great posts!