Another week is winding down, and soon our baby will be here (hopefully in the next week)! I am now 39 weeks pregnant. Though I still feel amazing and really have no pregnancy complaints, I just want to meet our baby! The funny thing about this pregnancy is that I have really cut down on sweets. I made a batch of these Hawaiian cookies though because they really are just so tasty! Below are the cookies and my 39 week baby bump!
Despite the fact that it is now late September, it still feels like summer most days. Today actually feels fall-like, but temperatures have been reaching the high 80s and 90s recently. Paired with the high humidity, it feels like we are in the tropics at times. The only thing missing are palm trees and the ocean! With tropical locations on my mind, it only seemed fitting to share these nutty Hawaiian cookies!
About these Hawaiian cookies
This is one of my mother’s recipes, and these Hawaiian cookies have been a family favorite for years. Even people who “hate” coconut have enjoyed these cookies! They are a hearty cookie, thanks to the oatmeal and rice krispies, and also feature two of my favorite tree nuts – coconut and pecans! Plus, their crisp edges and tender inside make them simply irresistible! If you’re really looking for a treat, use these cookies for ice cream sandwiches!
Try them out and let me know what you think! The pecans on top are optional but definitely recommended! See more pics below.
- ½ cup butter softened
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup sweetened, flaked coconut toasted, if desired
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Whole pecans optional
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, shortening, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy with a mixer for about 3-4 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add the flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix just until combined.
- By hand, stir in the old-fashioned oats, rice krispies cereal, coconut flakes, and chopped pecans. The cookie dough will be very thick, crumbly even.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350° F and prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Scoop the cookie dough into balls and place on the cookie sheets. If using whole pecans as garnish, gently place one pecan in the center of each cookie and press down slightly but do not flatten the cookies.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until cookies are slightly puffed and light golden on the edges. Carefully transfer to cooling racks to cool.
Cream butter, shortening, and sugars
Cream until light and fluffy
So many tasty ingredients!
Your finished cookie dough will look like this
Scoop onto parchment lined cookie sheets
Top with a whole pecan
Bake to perfection!
Be sure to check out these other great posts!
The coconut and pecans in these cookies are perfection! They baked up so nicely!