This post for cherry apple crisp was first published on 7/15/2017 but updated with some new photography on 3/16/2021.
If you saw my post from earlier this week about how to pit cherries without a cherry pitter, you know that I have fresh cherries galore just waiting to be baked! It is linked here. After an awesome 10 mile run with my mother-in-law Cathy this morning, a sweet treat sounded especially nice!
As a result, I wanted to start with a classic and simple dessert—fruit crisp! The sweet and mildly tangy filling underneath a crispy and buttery oat topping is simply irresistible. This crisp served warm right out of the oven will satisfy even your toughest critics, though vanilla ice cream or whipped cream would be welcome additions! My mouth is watering as I write!
Besides the exceptional flavors and textures, one of my favorite things about fruit crisp desserts is their versatility. You can achieve marvelous results using a single fruit, or like I did for this recipe, you can use a combination of two or more fruits. Besides cherry-apple, other great ideas include cherry-peach, peach-blueberry, peach-cherry-blueberry, cherry strawberry, etc… The point is the options are endless. I used apples and two types of cherries (below).
Can I also point out the topping? This one is pure buttery decadence and actually stays crisp. On the topic of crisps, I have a funny story about my dad, David, that I have to share. He is a really sweet guy and also has a sweet tooth! He adores the topping more than anyone I know. One time he asked my mom to make him apple crisp and then said, "without the apples!" We all had a good laugh over that because he actually meant it! This particular recipe has a pretty high ratio of topping (you're welcome, Dad).
If you don’t have fresh cherries, you should get them soon because the season won’t last long! Happy eating (and baking)! This cherry apple crisp is even better with premium vanilla ice cream!
Cherry Apple Crisp
Crisp Topping Ingredients
- 1 ½ cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp (1 stick plus 2 Tbsp) butter melted
- ½ cup chopped pecans optional
Cherry Apple Filling Ingredients
- 2 ½ cups apples chopped
- 2 ½ cups fresh or frozen pitted sweet cherries
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
To prepare the crisp topping
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, and salt. If using pecans, add them too. Mix all dry ingredients until combined. Gradually stir in the melted butter, until completely incorporated. The mixture should easily form crumbly pieces. Set aside.
To prepare the cherry apple filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine apples, cherries, sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch in a large bowl and let macerate for 15 minutes. Pour fruit filling into a deep dish 9 inch pie plate or 9x9 inch square pan. Sprinkle the crumb topping evening over the filling. Bake in the preheated oven for 35- 40 minutes, or until topping is golden and juices are bubbling on the edges. Let cool slightly before serving.