How do you like your coffee cake? If you are like me, it should be: light, not too sweet, and filled with a cinnamon streusel layer! It should also pair perfectly with coffee; hence, the name "coffee cake." This sour cream coffee cake checks all of those boxes!
There is something so nice about having a coffee cake around. It is perfect to serve for guests, but it’s also nice just to have for a sweet snack. It’s also not overly sweet, especially since it doesn’t have frosting. If you wanted it to feel like a true dessert, you could certainly add a simple glaze drizzled over the top though.
Tips for this Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This cake comes together very simply. It starts with a creamed sugar and butter mixture. From there, the remaining liquid ingredients are added. The last step is to add the dry ingredients. Like any cake, you do not want to over mix the batter. The more you mix it, the more gluten is developed. This will result in a dryer cake is a tougher texture. That is not what you want.
The sour cream recommended in this recipe to be authentic, but you may also substitute whole milk plain Greek yogurt. Do not use fat free of either option. Fat is a cake's friend to help it maintain a soft texture and have great flavor. The sour cream makes the cake extra tender but the whole milk plain Greek yogurt makes it a little healthier.
When it comes to layering the cake batter with the cinnamon sugar mixture, you will want to use an offset spatula. Here are pictures showing how the filling should be added to the cake. Be careful spreading out the top layer so that the cinnamon mixture stays evenly in the center of the cake for each slice.
Add about ⅔ of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the base layer of batter:
Place the remaining cake batter over the top (as shown)and spread evenly over the top with an offset spatula or knife:
I really enjoy this recipe, especially for the simplicity in preparing and in flavor. This sour cream coffee cake really does have the perfect texture, spice, and sweetness! It would make a lovely addition to any weekend brunch or just because you feel like baking! I am always happy to find an excuse to bake!
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
Filling and Topping Ingredients
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F and prepare pans. Grease or line a 9x9 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans (if using). Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar at medium speed in a large mixing bowl about 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla and mix until the thoroughly combined and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, add all dry ingredients and mix until combined. On low speed, add the dry ingredients into the large bowl of wet ingredients and mix just until incorporated. Do not overmix or it will toughen the cake. The batter will be fairly thick.
- Spread half the cake batter into the pan. Top evenly with about ⅔ of the cinnamon brown sugar mixture. Carefully spread the remaining cake batter and gently spread over the filling. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake the coffee cake in preheated oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until center is firm and a tester comes out clean.
Be sure to check out these other great posts: