Soup season is officially upon us! The temperatures have dropped, but the winter in the Midwest has been mild so far. I am especially happy about it because it has allowed me to keep running without too much difficulty. Nonetheless, with the cooler temps outdoors makes time indoors even more cozy, especially with comfy clothes, heavy blankets, and warm beverages. Oh yeah, and don’t forget about the soup. I love soups that are loaded with veggies and healthy ingredients, like this butternut squash soup.
This butternut squash soup is creamy, luxurious, and packed with veggie goodness. I’m talking onion, celery, and lots of butternut squash. For just a hint of natural sweetness, I also like to throw in an apple. The coloring is so rich and inviting. It has just the right amount of spice thanks to the addition of cayenne. You can omit this ingredient if you prefer mild foods. Definitely include the nutmeg though. All you need is a pinch, but it adds such a nice warming flavor.
I love to top mine with a swirl of sour cream, pepitas (which are a type of green pumpkin seeds without a hull), and green onions. It’s even better with some crusty sourdough torn straight off the loaf. As much as I am a perfectionist, I find rustic things to be quite elegant.
This soup makes a large batch, which is perfect if you like leftovers as much as me. Otherwise, you can freeze some of the soup to enjoy at a later date, especially if you want something quick and healthy. To puree the soup, you may use a blender but I highly recommend an immersion blender. They are way easier to clean and eliminate the need to transfer piping hot soup. If you do not have an immersion blender, they are fairly inexpensive and super handy.
I hope you enjoy this soup. It’s one of my personal favorites!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large apple peeled and chopped
- 1 large butternut squash (about 3 pounds) peeled, deseeded, and cubed
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onion and celery. Cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and heat over medium-low heat for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 3 cups of chicken broth, apple, butternut squash, and spices. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. For a traditional blender, be very careful transferring the soup. It will need to be done in batches.
- Once completely smooth, add the heavy cream and season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary. If the soup still seems too thick, add the remaining chicken broth. Serve hot with sour cream, green onion, pepitas, and crusty sourdough bread.
Follow Along on My Socials
Be sure to check out these other great posts!